With mod_roaming you can use your Apache webserver as a Roaming Access server for your browser. This allows you to store your browser preferences, bookmarks, address books, cookies etc. on the server so that you can use (and update) the same settings from any browser that can access the server. Supported browsers are:
- Netscape Communicator 4.5x through 4.8x
- Mozilla 1.8 (currently in beta, see Bugzilla for progress)
This version has been ported to Apache 2.0 and also works on Windows, Netware and OS/2. Binaries for those platforms are available. See CHANGES for details.
N.B.: If you want to use mod_roaming with an older version of Apache, use mod_roaming 1.0.2.
- mod_roaming allows your existing Apache webserver to double as a Roaming Access server.
- mod_roaming implements the GET, HEAD, PUT, DELETE and MOVE methods that make Roaming Access work.
- Specifically mod_roaming implements the non-standard MOVE method so that you do not have to set the li.prefs.http.useSimplePut preference to true.
- mod_roaming automatically creates directories for new users to keep administration simple.
- mod_roaming does not allow anonymous access to the roaming access files, does not allow users to read or write each others roaming access files, and is generally very strict about the requests it allows. Only that which is needed by Netscape Communicator 4.5 or Mozilla is allowed.
- mod_roaming can be installed as a DSO (Dynamic Shared Object) module.
- There was a technical article about Roaming Access on the Netscape website but it has been removed.
- Jochen Wiedmann has written a mod_perl module based on the code of mod_roaming, that allows you to generate configuration files on the fly. Apache::Roaming is available from any CPAN mirror.
- Frederik Vermeulen's Perl script that allows you to use Apache as a Roaming Access Server. This script was my inspiration to write mod_roaming.
This software is distributed under the terms of a BSD-style open source license. Please see the file LICENSE for details.
Please select the version you wish to download:
|Version||Release date||GZIPped source TAR file||Other formats|
|2.0.0||5 May 2002||mod_roaming-2.0.0.tar.gz||
RPM spec file (Courtesy of Kenneth Porter)
OS/2 Binary (DDL) (Courtesy of Brian Havard)
|2.0b1||30 Apr 2002||mod_roaming-2.0b1.tar.gz||N/A|
|1.0.2||22 Jul 2000||mod_roaming-1.0.2.tar.gz||N/A|
|1.0.1||31 Mar 1999||mod_roaming-1.0.1.tar.gz||N/A|
|1.0.0||25 Jan 1999||mod_roaming-1.0.0.tar.gz||N/A|
|0.9.1||8 Jan 1999||mod_roaming-0.9.1.tar.gz||N/A|
|0.9.0||1 Jan 1999||mod_roaming-0.9.0.tar.gz||N/A|